The Arizona Marathon Observing Site
The Saguaro Astronomy Club (SAC)
gives the following hints for the Arizona Messier Marathon:
SAC Arizona Marathon Observing Site webpage
Getting to the site:
SAC's Getting to the Arizona Marathon Site page
- The site is about between Tucson and Phoenix, 80 miles from Phoenix
Sky Harbor Airport, 86 Miles from Tucson Intl Airport.
- The nearest town of any size is Casa Grande.
- Allow at least 2 hours to get to the site from either airport. The
road leading to the site is dirt, although it is well maintained, you
really don't want to go faster than 30 mph.
- If you think you'll need help getting to the site, contact one of
the coordinators prior to your arrival in Arizona. They will be happy to
help you. You may be able to set up a convoy to help you get to the
- If you're planning to leave during the Marathon, please set up near
the entrance to the site. Observe star party etiquette and alert people
to your imminent departure.
- If you plan on taking astro-photo's set up at the rear of the site
past the main observing area. This will help insure any stray lights
don't disturb you.
- Please remember this is private property. We are here at the
invitation of the landowner. Please respect his property. If you bring
it in, bring it out.
SAC's 2003 All Arizona Messier Marathon page
Messier Marathon Home
Last Modification: December 23, 2002